Thursday, September 18, 2003

"cuando se habla lo escrito, se pierde lo dicho"

That's from a movie I just saw on MPT tonight: The Blue Diner. I liked it. It's a nice little bilingual, independent film.

Remember how I said I took the practice ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, i.e. the SAT's of the military)? Well, I took the real test on Monday and scored a 99 again. That just says I did better than 99% of other people who took the practice test. My recruiter said this means I have the possibility of getting any job in the military allowed to women. But like I said before - I'm just looking at all my options. I don't plan to sell out to Uncle Sam any time soon. I must say that when I was at the MEP station (Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS)), I felt a little arrogant. I felt this superior feeling to the others who were about ready to sign their lives over to whatever branch of the military. I think it was cuz I thought they were mainly high school students and I'm not too fond of them. :-P It's just that as I got older, and then to see how some kids act, it annoys me. Mostly cuz I didn't act the way they did when I was their age.

And then the even younger kids, like the ones in my neighborhood. My goodness, they are too grown! A little anecdote - I was with my dog and talking to some of the little rugrats. Two of 'em had these jelly bracelets on and I was reminiscing how we (the children of the '80s) used to wear them and stuff. But I'll be damned if there isn't a sexual implication to the once innocent plastic jewelry. Something about depending on the color, this color designates certain sexual acts to be done with the person who breaks your bracelet. Yikes! What the hell is all that about?! And the things they mention about who did it with whom and who got a big this or that. The more I interact with the youth, the more I vow to send my children, should I be so lucky to have them some day, to private school. Better yet, I wouldn't want them raised in this country. The kids these days are too precocious in ways they shouldn't be. I think many of us knew things we shouldn't have as children, but did we all act upon this extra knowledge or speak of it so openly and extensively? I don't think so. It's ridiculous. *smh*

No comments: