Thursday, October 16, 2003

Small world...

Went out with Belinda last night. We went to this club - I'd call it more of a bar/lounge - that I've been to before on 3 separate occasions, but not on this particular night of the week. It was salsa night and we arrived early enough to go through the lessons. Belinda already knows how to dance salsa, but she wanted to learn how to lead. I have learned some basics before, but while I think I've got enough rhythm (hey - I am half black! ;)), I feel that I'm not coordinated enough. I don't know what it would take for me to really internalize it all. Anyways, so we went and we danced and it was alright. We'll see how much of this stuff I actually remember. Thing is, when I dance to something, I'll just do my own thing, feel the music in my way. But with salsa, there's a certain beat or measure. And everyone counts in a slightly different way and I just can't hear "it" in the music where I'm posta be counting! So, basically, I just have to have a really strong leader to guide me and for me to follow.

So, regarding the title of this blog - I met a few people at the club last night. One was this guy whom I took to be Arab. And he was - Egyptian. Well, he was with two other fellows, one of which later approached me talkin' about some "I thought that was you." Now, I had thought this guy looked vaguely familiar, but I didn't sweat it cuz I figured it was just one of those things, you know, where some people in this world just resemble other people, or that perhaps maybe I didn't really "recognize" him. So, he comes over to me and I'm all tellin' him how I thought he was familiar, etc., but part of me is thinkin' that this some guy I know, whom I've met, and I must've seen him before, but - I can't remember his name. I actually almost thought he was someone from my undergrad days, but somehow different!

Long story short - he's a guy from the internet. Second time I've bumped into someone unexpectedly off the 'net. He had "thought that that was me", but was unsure. And his other friend had recognized me as well, I guess. Funny, the friend, I never would respond to when he'd written me a couple times. I almost respond to the one dude whom I did correspond with, but in the end I decided to and we had exchanged several notes. Anyways, I gave him my number and who knows if I'll hang out with him some time. I'm not interested in him 'like that', but I defintely don't mind new friends. Plus, we do have something in common, which I had learned from our 'net contact - though he's Puerto Rican/Mexican, he studied Arabic in the military. I'm tryna do things with my Arabic now and I actually have a couple of good leads. Don't be surprised if one of these days I send you an e-mail from Iraq! :-)

No comments: