Friday, February 14, 2003

Valentine's, Schmalentines :-P

So it's Valentine's Day. So what? Fuck a Valentine's... LoL. Just kidding. I'm not bitter or anything. No, seriously; I'm not. :) I'm not mad that I'm not celebrating just another capitalistic holiday. Besides, I have a Valentine's. In fact, I have two! 'Cause my mommy and my sis sent me cards. :-P

Remember the Simpsons episode where Lisa gives Ralph a pity Valentine? And Ralph goes: it says i choo-choose you and there's a picture of a train on it. :)

Currently listening to: my "Aladdin" soundtrack. Dang - I can't believe that movie came out over ten years ago! We're so old... I should go watch that movie later. I think I'll look at it differently now that I know more about Arab culture. And the fact that I'm taking a course on the Arabian Nights, although we won't be reading the story about Aladdin.

Anyway... I need to buckle down in school. I'm still the number one slacker. I waited last minute to start this 5-page brief for my class. I ended up skipping my most busiest day of classes because I was still tryna write the damn paper. I ended up handing the paper in the next morning. Wonder if or how I'll be penalized. The professor had sent out an e-mail with the subject "absences." He said something about us reviewing the syllabus on the policy on unexcused absences. Oops! One of my other friends was also in the same situation as me. That is, not done writing the paper and skipping class. But she, being Muslim, could use the excuse of her holiday. Anyway... We'll see what happens.

I'm gonna try to watch 20/20 tonight. I think it's the Christina Aguilera interview. I'm no longer a fan of hers, but I'm interested in seeing what she has to say. I will no longer support her financially. Nope. But I did acquire her latest CD. Bootleg. :) It's actually quite hot. It's a confessional and it demonstrates her talent. She gets props for it. I think she has a great voice, but I don't particularly care for it when she belts out tunes. I don't like the way her voice sounds. You know, if you listen to some of her songs when she was under the control of her rec execs, you can hear how her voice resembles Leann Rimes. Yup. Just listen to the two sometime. But, yeah, I like when she sings ballads and stuff. The album consists of a mix of styles. She's even got a couple songs that are more like alternative-sounding or punk rock or whatever the hell you'd call it.

The songs I have taken a liking to are "Walk Away" (kinda jazzy/soulful), "Infatuation" (Latin-infused), and "Loving Me 4 Me" (R&B-ish?). And of course you've probably heard "Beautiful" on the radio. And I believe "Impossible" is out, too. (I dunno since I don't listen to the radio.) "The Voice Within" is also nice. Sometimes Christina sounds like she's coppin' Mariah Carey's style. Oh, speakin' of Mariah, I remember I was a fan, then I stopped liking her (not her music) around the time she got with old-ass Tommy. Then I think I like her again. I cried when I saw her "Through the Rain" video. Like every time I saw it. :-P Back to Christina - I also really like her song called "I'm OK." I also cried when I heard this. I think, like, each time I listened to it. Yeah, I'm a crybaby. But it's so sad. In it, she's speaking to her father. It's about how her father used to beat her mom when she (Chris) was little. :( And the fact that she's actually sorta crying on the track as she's singing, that adds to the effect.

And finally, before I go plop myself in front of the TV - about the song "Walk Away." I like the first verse: "I was naïve/Your love was like candy/Artificially sweet/I was deceived by the wrapping." And I especially like the breakdown part. It starts with "Everytime I try to grasp for air" and right up to the part where she goes "Begging, pleading no more," then she kinda screams or something. I love it. Check it out!

Anyhoo, it's time to watch 20/20. And screw you and your Valentines. :)

No comments: