Sunday, February 01, 2004

Man, the weekend is already more than half over. I slept a lot of it away. I hope the rest of the day goes by slowly. Yesterday, accompanied Tara to run her errands. We ate at Quizno's. Had to use my coupon since it was the last day for it. Need to get more coupons cuz $2 off a sub is a pretty good deal.

Then in the evening, Shawn scooped me up to go to his party for a little gathering. It was cool. Got my drink on a little. Kept droppin' pretzel sticks. Staggered as I walked, lol. End of the evening, ended up having a "discussion" with the guys. A stupid one where I had to defend myself where race is an issue and the arguments being thrown at me were doo-doo. But I still handled myself AND I was drunk. And what? :-P

Ken took me home. It was around 5AM. We ended up sitting in the car for a while talking about race issues and politics and what not. Heh. Oh, and though Ken kept his mouth shut during the argument, he totally knew where I was coming from and basically, agreed with me. It's cool. Sometimes it's best not to say anything. How's that one saying go? Never argue with a fool cuz you'll never win? But Ken was about "being the better person." Hey, I am, too. But sometimes I just can't help myself!

It's funny, with this blog, I reveal a lot of what's on my mind or stuff that's happened and I write in my particular dialect. But... I do censor myself quite a bit due to cultural sensitivities. I know that some of my friends or even strangers who read this blog wouldn't understand certain forms of expression or concepts dealing with race and language. So sometimes I'm vague with what I say. Like I won't go into detail as to what the aforemention argument was. Gotta avoid contraversy for the sake of those who can't handle it...

Anyway, is everybody up on their current Middle East events? Well, I wanna bring ya'll up to date. Allow me to share with you a brief article:

38 Palestinians Killed Since Last Suicide Bombing
AMJ Calls for an End to Selective Outrage over Mideast Civilian Deaths


(Washington, DC 01/29/04) Today's bombing in Jerusalem, which claimed the lives of 10 Israelis, was the first suicide bomb attack in over four weeks. During that period, reported by the media as a "lull" or "calm" in Mideast violence, Israeli occupation troops killed over 38 Palestinians and maimed over 314 others. Many children, along with two teenaged mechanics, were among the victims.

"The killing of innocent civilians is appalling and must end, regardless of who the perpetrators are," said AMJ Executive Director Khalid Turaani. "It is also appalling that many comatose pundits who have been silent as Israel has gone on with its daily killing of Palestinian civilians, have only today awakened to the terrible deaths of Israeli civilians."

Since the last suicide bombing, Israel has killed over 38 Palestinians and injured over 314 others. Only yesterday, over ten Palestinians were gunned down by Israeli occupation troops in the Gaza Strip. The UN reports that in the last two weeks alone in one Gaza refugee camp, almost 600 Palestinian refugees were made homeless when Israel bulldozed their homes.

"Where is the outrage over the continuous plundering of Palestinian land, of Israel's daily killing of Palestinian civilians? Why does our media find discussion of Palestinian deaths beyond the pale of the permissible and the politically acceptable?" asked Turaani.

When pundits claim that today's attack broke the "relative calm," it unfortunately makes clear that Palestinian lives are considered dispensable and their deaths unworthy of outrage. "Attacks on innocent civilians can never be justified or condoned, but we have witnessed selective outrage for too long. On a very basic level, media coverage could contribute to Mideast peace by expressing equal grief and outrage at all loss of life," concluded Turaani.

And do you know what those asshole Israelis did after the latest suicide bombing? They go into Bethlehem and destroy the house of the suicide bomber. Now, what the hell? Yeah, I'm sure that'll solve things. I guess they're tryna intimidate and show that they won't stand for no mess. But sounds like something a kid would do; something immature. Anyways, how would you feel if one of your relatives committed a crime and so the government in retaliation demolishes YOUR house. Yeah, sounds logical. *rolls eyes* Everything's so fucked up with this world...

No comments: