Friday, April 25, 2003

"Idolater, your soul is required in hell!"

That was a quote from the 1991 film "New Jack City." I just now saw it for the very first time last night. Took me long enough. I usually find time for things I really don't have time for when I have lots of homework to do. It's one of my procrastination techniques. Heh... But yeah, this quote was said by the old man to Nino Brown. And I believe it's applicable to much of the Bush administration. :-P There were some murders in the film. But you know what? So were there in the city of my birth. Goodness, Washington is back at number one in terms of homicides. It's murder rate has increased, making it once again the Murder Capital of the World. What an honor, right? And damn, in my homestate of Maryland, Baltimore placed a lofty number three. Greeeattt.

But, ah... that's what America's all about. Then I'm reminded of all those people who say America is the greatest country in the world and I'm like, riiighht. The murderers are on a roll these days. In the D.C. Metropolitan area, while the President has his compound safely guarded, just short distances away, people are getting killed, there are homeless people loitering around, there are hookers. It just doesn't make sense. I think three people were shot at a playground in the suburbs of D.C. last week or so. And there was some other shooting at a tavern before then. And just over this weekend, I believe, a father killed his three sons and then himself. Then there was an attempted murder-suicide at a parking garage on the campus of College Park. And then another man kills his estranged wife and in-laws in the county where I grew up. What the fuck? I guess that's democracy for you. Every one can have their guns and are free to choose their victims. Man, I need to go see Michael Moore's "Bowling for Colombine" where I hear he talks about our gun problem.

I think I should become a Dixie Chicks fan. They were talking with Diane Sawyer last night. I can't believe the backlash they've received. Kinda makes me wanna go out and buy their records. I like to support people who've got something good to say. One of the members of the group recited a quote by ex-President Theodore Roosevelt: "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." (I also found this quote in an article, which is relevant to my views.) How is it that in this country, the KKK by law is allowed to "peacefully" protest knowing full well what they feel about your and my peoples, but the Dixie Chicks can't voice an opinion, on foreign soil, even, without getting harrassed. Something just ain't right.

Enough of that crap... I've got a soar throat. I hope I don't got the SARS. Syke. Went to the doctor's yesterday and he said my tonsils look terrible, my lymphs were swollen or whatever. And my temperature was a little high. Ninety-nine something. He did a throat culture, but I gotta wait 'til Monday to find the damn results. Dr. Walsh said it's probably Strep since I'm not exhibiting any of the other symptoms associated with cold viruses. But he also told me if it wasn't strep, the next thing they would check is to see if it's Mono. Ewww... I don't want it to be mono! That's the kissing disease, ain't it? Well, damn. That's probably how I got it. Note to self: beware of handsome, over-confident Dominican men. But dang - he knew he had it goin' on. LoL. Mmm... those Latinos. I think I'm in a Latino phase again. As much as I got love for the Middle Easterners and South Asians and stuff (haha - and "stuff"), I don't know... Latinos just have this... sabor! ¿Sabes? Hehe... My friend, Shireen, asked me, "What is up with you and Latin men?" I'm like, come on now - she GOT to know. Who isn't drawn, at least initially or for some kind of split second to a fine man? :-P And my girl, Nadine, when I was tellin' her about some Latino guys, she was like, Sheena, I can see you with an ethnic man; I can't picture you with anyone else. Hehe. Me neither! And there's that comment crackhead Tara made, "Look at your most recent track record. They've all been Ricky Ricardos." D'oh! Whatever. ¡Viva la Raza!

No comments: