Wednesday, September 04, 2002

Good job, America! You voted and chose Kelly Clarkson as your American idol. Woo-hoo! That's what I'm talkin' about. :) Yeah, I casted about 15 votes for homegirl. That girl got a little bit o' soul in her. :) Even Mary J. Blige, Melissa Joan Hart and Lois from "Malcolm in the Middle" were rootin' for her!

So... I'm back in school and sure as hell don't wanna be here. :( Here's wishin' the school year zooms by! I'm takin' 4 classes for credit and auditing one. Three classes are in my concentration and are a total of 9-credits, which is a full-load for grad school. The other course is 6-credits of Arabic which I need in order to pass a proficiency exam so I can hopefully graduate. Then the class I'm auditing is Hebrew. So far, there are only 2 other students in that class. Hope it stays that way 'cause I think we're all pretty much on the same level, though we each have our own strengths and weaknesses. I would just hate for someone else to join who's obviously got no aptitude for language-learning. Plus my classmates actually make an effort to pronounce the language right. I hate American accents in foreign languages! (But one of my classmates is Mexican, but anyway...)

In my Arabic class, we've got certain ones in there who just don't got it. Or it takes 'em a while. I get frustrated in there. During summer Arabic I asked my teacher, "Do you ever just wanna choke your students?" LoL. He was like, nah, I'm not a violent person. I go, "I'm not either. I just have violent thoughts." Haha... But I tell ya, in reference to my particular class, being of a Semitic peoples does not make you predisposed to learning a Semitic language. (And I'm not talking about the only Arab in the class, if you know what I mean) But you ain't heard it from me! =X

So, anyway, I'm takin' all these classes. One on the Arab-Israeli conflict with a visiting professor from Israel, another on the Political Economy of the Middle East (it's a required course), and another on Syrian/Lebanese politics. And I don't wanna be in any of 'em! If I could just study languages, I'd be content. After I get my degree - if I get my degree - I shall never, ever return to school again. Buh-leee dat! What sucks for me this semester, besides taking these courses I don't think I'll excel out, my dumb tail thought it'd be a good idea to schedule everything on the same day. I figured, that'll give me more "free" days to do whatever. So, Arabic is every freakin' morning, as usual, Hebrew is Mondays and Fridays, the Arab-Israeli course is Monday/Wednesday, and every thing else is Wednesday! So, yeah- that was today. I was in class all damn day long. From 9:15am 'til 8:30 tonight. And since it was the grande finale of "American Idol" this evening, which started at 8, you know I set my VCR. hehe

So... Saturday I went to see this documentary produced/directed/written... by 2 Georgetown grads. It was called "The Pocket" and it was a documentary on Go-go music. It was a'ight. But there were a lotta caucazoids in attendance. Ain't nuttin' wrong with that, but all my classmates that went had never heard of Go-go music before. And I'm sure that most of the other white people hadn't either. There were some black folk up in there who knew what was up. LoL. Then afterwards, a few bands played: Uncalled 4 and Little Benny and the Go-go AllStars. But in between this punk-rock band played. They were all right, but pretty much out of place there, ya know! Basically, they're from DC and say they love go-go, so, that was their connection to it all...

But after all that, I was in the mood to hit up a go-go. I gotta find someone to roll wit', though. I am not tryna go with someone who doesn't already know what it's about. And plus, even though they might dig it, I might be embarrassed with the way they dance. Haha!

Anyway, I should do my Arabic homework. And I should also feed my belly. I'm sleep- and food-deprived at the moment. Only about 112 days to go 'til I get the hellz outta here! =P

No comments: