Saturday, August 17, 2002

It's been a loooong time. I been lazy. Sue me! Hehe. Speakin' of suing... Why didn't anybody tell me about this: Millions for Reparations? And there's a rally goin' on today! White America - you owe my black azz! Where's my 40 acres and a mule? Shieeett... Ha. But for real, this is one of the reasons you won't catch me wavin' an American flag. If we had no reason to wave it during slavery and segregation and what have you, why we gonna suddenly start doing so 'cause of Sept. 11? Sheesh.

Anyway, there are some whites present at this rally, as I've read in some article from the AP by Janelle Carter: Ken McDouall of Durham, N.C., one of a handful of whites at the rally, said the reparations issue "cuts to the core of the history of injustice of America.'' Does it ever! I just may purchase a t-shirt if I like how it looks.

So... I'm done with summer school. Been out for a week already and so bored! I can't believe half my vacation is already over with, yet in my ennui, the days are dragging on... I'm so not looking forward to starting the fall semester. But at the same time, I can't wait for it to be down and over with it. I have this fear that my final year of grad school will go by so slowly. Then I have this fear that I'll fail. :-P Well, at least I passed my "Intensive 2nd-Level Modern Standard Arabic" this summer.

Went out Thursday night with Justin and a few others. Ended up seeing 5 kats I know from undergrad- all Kappas, I think. The night was only "alright". Wasn't all that, but at least I got out the freakin' house! I think I'm going to go insane if my life doesn't change soon. You'll all be visiting me at St. Elizabeth's Hospital. That's where my mom said I needed to go. Do ya'll know what it is? It's a nut house. LoL. This is kind of interesting: I just did a little homework on it and it was started in 1855 and used to be called "the Government Hospital for the Insane." Then during the Civil War, "wounded soldiers treated here were reluctant to admit that they were in an insane asylum, and said they were at St. Elizabeths, the colonial name of the land where the Hospital is located." (Got that from some NIH site.)

I finally saw "Lady & the Tramp" the other day. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be. But there were some cute parts. And parts that made my eyes water. I also saw "The Mothman Prophecy" or whatever it's called. Wasn't impressed with that either. I wanna go see Martin Lawrence's "Run Tell Dat." :)

I had had a check-up earlier this week. My blood pressure is good, despite the fact that I eat salt as if it was itself a food. Heh. And my weight- I'll be damned. Granted I was wearin' my Air Force Ones (hightops), my weight was 10lbs more than what I expected! Guess eating all of that good Vietnamese food beforehand wasn't such a good idea. Who am I kidding- of course it was!

Hey, I think I'm developing an old soul. Three out of the four CDs I purchased in the past few weeks are before my time. I got one of Astrud Gilberto, a pioneer in bossa nova. (Brazil just celebrated the 40th anniversary of "Girl from Ipanema"). The music's real chill. Quite tranquil. I also got a collection of Love Songs sang by Etta James. Wow- what a voice. And I also got some music of Carly Simon. Besides that, I've been looking into singers of the mid-twentieth century, give or take a few years. Guess I'm kinda late in discovering real jazz and blues and stuff. Speaking of this genre, I just found out that Norah Jones is the daughter of a famous musician: Ravi Shankar! Who'da thunk it?

No comments: