Monday, June 23, 2008

Thevy the Talker

Thevy is quite talkative. And articulate, if I do say so myself. And as most young children, she makes mistakes in her speech (pronunciation, grammar). But I'm so proud of her when I hear her talk. She often amazes me with how well she speaks and the things she says to express herself, or simply to talk for talking's sake!

Anyway, back to kids making mistakes, I remember she used to pronounce her L's as W's and I worked to get her to say them correctly. It took a while, but she finally got the hang of it and she now knows the difference. I think her R's are still mostly wrong, as she says them as W's... But I made a new advance in her speech. It's still not perfected, but she can sometimes correct herself: her "TH's". Normally, Thevy tells me she's "firsty". I gave some examples and tried to teach her to make the correct sound and was able to do it with the phrase, "THink about it".

She still generally says "firsty", but when I bring attention to it, she is able to fix the error, sometimes by having to repeat the "Think about it" exercise: "THHHink about, thirsty." Man, I should be a speech therapist or something. :)

No comments: