Saturday, September 08, 2007

Big Stye

Thevy's got a bump on her eyelid. My mother first noticed it last Monday, saying how Thevy's eye looked a little swollen. I sort of brushed it off because I didn't see it until it was pointed out.

By Wednesday, the bump had grown and I didn't know if I should be concerned or not. Should I just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or goes away? Or should I take her to the pediatrician?

In the end, I called up the Ask-a-Nurse hotline and the pediatrician's office. I left a message at the hotline for a callback and I also left a non-urgent message in the voice box of the pediatrician, who was out of the office that day. The nurse who called me back said there's no way to tell without seeing it and asked different questions like, could it be a mosquito bite or did it irritate Thevy? Was there any pus or spots on the eye? She said to watch it and put a warm cloth on it.

Got a call from the pediatrician's office the next day (Thursday) and was told the same thing - no way to know without seeing the eye. So I made an for the following day. Since I had a meeting with someone, Daddy took Thevy to her appointment. It was determined she had a stye and that it's just one of those things that can happen where a gland gets clogged and to put a warm cloth on it and hope it gets better. If it starts to get worse, like redder or more irritated within a week, bring her back. If it doesn't get worse, but is still there after a month, bring her back.

I hope it goes away soon. Poor thing, with her swollen lid. It really isn't bothering her, but it rather bothers me to see it.

No comments: