Sunday, March 14, 2004

Hmm... Two weeks have passed since my last blog and I can't seem to remember what's happened... Umm... did I mention how I went to the movies last month? I saw "Girl with the Pearl Earring" with Tara. And I also saw "The Passion of the Christ" with my mama.

I liked both films, I guess. The latter, it was kinda cool cuz I could understand some of the Aramaic due to my having studied Arabic and Hebrew. And even the parts in Latin, thanks to my knowledge of Spanish. Of course, the subtitles aided me in my comprehension. But I bet that movie woulda had a different affect had I not needed to depend on the subtitles and could understand the actual languages being spoken. There was this one part where the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene were talking and I heard the word I knew to be "Egypt" in Hebrew. But I didn't see the word "Egypt" anywhere in the subtitles... Anyhoo, the movie was different than I "expected". I guess I thought it would be your classic biblical film - chronological and seemingly very historical. But it wasn't so linear and it was slightly artsy in some parts. Like the supernatural elements - totally wasn't expecting them and they were kinda like horror film genre-type stuff. And yes, it was a bit graphic in some parts, but I don't feel it overpowered the movie. Not in such a way that those who are saying it's a violent film are saying. I mean, HELLO!! It's called the "passion." It's about what Christ went through for us! The suffering He went through? (According to my Encyclopedia of Catholicism, the word "passion" comes from the Latin word for "suffering": passio.) That's the point! Sheesh. We seem to forget about the real nitty-gritty of things during this Easter season while people are all thinking about nice little Easter bunnies and pastel-colored eggs and what not. That's the whole purpose of this season of Lent. A time to reflect and repent. And for those who don't know - both Christians and non-Christians alike - Easter is the MOST IMPORTANT holiday in Christianity. NOT Christmas, like some are wont to believe.

Anyway, I liked Ebert's review. And here's what the US Conference of Catholic Bishops had to say.

And the other night I went to a cultural show at my undergrad with Jeannie. Tammy and Michelle were performing. Finally got my ao dai back. Haven't seen that thing in three years since the last time I performed in that show! Made a contact with this Cambodian chick there. Saw this guy Rhyne there. Funny how I first met him. Met him several years ago from the internet and when we had exchanged pics, I saw that I had recognized him. He used to attend my undergrad until he transferred. And we did hang out once. We had gone to the ESPN Zone.

Okay, I can't really concentrate cuz I'm on the phone right now. But oh - I talked to "canaryboy" on the phone today for over an hour. Does anyone remember him? :-D Alright... I'm out!

No comments: